Tuesday, November 15, 2005

The British Invasion

As much as Rock-N-Roll has its roots in the African American music; it also drew heavily from European immigrants; especially the British!!! The term "British Invasion" is used to describe the phase when scores of British groups made their way to America and with their influence changed the musical scenario here:
First Wave : 1964-69
Second wave: 1970's

The “FIRST WAVE” British invasion is said to have begun with coming of the Beatles to America. They made their television debut on the Ed Sullivan shows, in Feb 1964, with 5 songs; and later each one of them became a super hit. These are: All My Loving, Till there was you, She loves you, I saw her standing there, I want to hold your hand …
Soon they produced a string of hits and earned the name “The Fabulous Four” .
Some Hits: And I love her so, If I fell, Cant buy me love, I feel fine, Yesterday, I’m a loser, Strawberry fields forever, Help!, Hey Jude, Revolution, Come together…

Well, she was just 17,
You know what I mean,
And the way she looked was way beyond compare.
So how could I dance with another (ooh)
And I saw her standin’ there



Soon after Beatles landed in America; a rush of other British musicians
• THE ROLLING STONES: Time is on my side; No satisfaction, Start me up
• THE ANIMALS: House of Rising Sun
• THE KINKS: Lola, You really got me going, Taking care of business
• THE WHO: My Generation, Anyway, anyhow, anywhere
• THE YARDBIRDS: For Your Love , White Summer

To thrill you with delight,
I'll give you diamonds bright.
There'll be things that will excite,
To make you dream of me at night…
[For your love – Yardbirds
]



The sixties was also the time-period of some of the best AMERICAN ROCK-STARS:
• JIMI HENDRIX: Purple haze, Foxy lady, Little Wing, Angel, Stone free
• JANIS JOPLIN: Me and Bobby McGee, Kozmic Blues, Try
• THE DOORS: Riders on the storm, Light my fire, Roadhouse blues, Crystal ship
• STEPPENWOLF: Born to be wild, Magic carpet ride, Rock n Roll rebels
• SIMON & GARFUNKEL: I am a Rock, Homeward Bound, Bridge over troubled water
• BOB DYLAN: considered to be one of the most influential names in the American popular music. Singer n lyricists, he changed the complexion of rock music and proved that conventional good voice is not a precondition for success. Bringing in elements of folk music, he popularized "Folk Rock". Interestingly, in the initial phase, he had kept his distance from this new wave of rock music and said to have called the Beatles as “bubblegum” group.
Hits: Like a rolling stone, Times they are a-changing, Blowin in the wind.


SECOND WAVE of British Invasion – 70’s
The 70’s marks the second wave of British invasion:
• CREAM: Sunshine of your love, Crossroads, Spoonful
• LED ZEPPELIN: Stairways to heaven, Black dog, Dyer maker, Kashmir
• BLACK SABBATH: Paranoid, Iron man, War pigs, Bloody Sabbath
• DEEP PURPLE: Smoke on the water, Perfect strangers, Woman from Tokyo
With this emerged the phase of “Heavy Metal” Rock...

5 Comments:

At 15 November, 2005 14:46, Blogger doppelganger said...

Cant see "PINK FLOYD" in there.
I am guessing it doesn't fit in the chronology or something.

And your third or fourth wave should certainly include the punk rock bands - sex pistols, clash, etc.

 
At 16 November, 2005 11:56, Blogger Intern said...

[Dopple] ->
There you are ..
so I missed out Pink Floyd ...
YUPS!!!

He comes in the Second Wave of British invasion...ie, the 70's phase... along with Led-Zep, Sabbath, Deep Purple...

The seventies - I've yet got to develop upon..
and YES... 70's is also the decade of Punk Rock ...

 
At 16 November, 2005 12:30, Blogger Intern said...

Dopple] ->

Believe me, I never expected anyone to read these posts; which look more like boring class-room notes. To have someone to actually read 'em and then comment as well, is really heartening !!!

But believe me, I've enjoyed writing them....and going through plethora of Google Search to understand and make notes on them. As far as music goes, I enjoy the songs much more when I know about the time-frame and atmosphere when it was composed. In the process I learn so much more than what I started with.

If you like rock as well as can appreciate classical western music; I think you would enjoy "Progressive Rock";which is the closest Rock can get to Classical music.
I reckon, you would be busy with studies, but if can make it, try hearing "King Crimson": awesome group - Progressive Rock!!!

 
At 17 November, 2005 11:20, Blogger Jeff Pioquinto,SJ said...

interesting article and nice blog too. thanks

 
At 17 November, 2005 11:54, Blogger Intern said...

THANKS!!! @ Jeff

 

Post a Comment

<< Home