Thursday, December 22, 2005

SONGFACTS ....

I have always found that songs become much more interesting ...
when I know the small little facts/anecdotes behind them.

[1] One of my most surprising discoveries was the issue of “backmasking” or “ backtracking” in some songs.
It means inserting hidden messages into tracks which can be consciously heard only when played backwards. Like
“Stairways to heaven” – Led Zeppelin ...

If there's a bustle in your hedgerow … Don't be alarmed now,
It's just a spring clean for the May queen.
Yes, there are two paths you can go by
But in the long run …There's still time to change the road you're on.


when played backward; Is said to have “satanic messages” …
”oh here’s to my sweet satan …”

“Hit me Baby one more time” – Britney Spears
The lines: “I lose my mind … give me a sign”
When heard backward is said to be … “Sleep with me, I’m not too young”

[2] I’ve always marveled at people who can compose lyrics IMPROMPTU ...
“When a man loves a woman” – Percy Sledge

When a man loves a woman … Can't keep his mind on nothing else
He'll trade the world … For the good thing he's found
If she's bad he can't see it … She can do no wrong
Turn his back on his best friend … If he put her down


As the story goes; Sledge was to perform in a concert, but was extremely upset as his girlfriend for 3 years had left him. He could not concentrate on the songs he was supposed to be singing. So he asked his fellow band-men to play “any” Blues based tune of their choice; to which he could sing. Sledge gave an impromptu rendition for almost 6 minutes ...

“What’d I say”: Ray Charles
Ray is said to have improvised this song in a concert; when he had finished playing every song he knew; but still had 12 minutes left. This became smash hit and said to be the greatest soul song ever!

[3] The most interesting are the heartfelt songs on PERSONAL LIFE:
Wonderful Tonight – Eric Clapton

It’s late in the evening
She’s wondering what clothes to wear
She puts on her make up
And brushes her long blonde hair
And then she asks me
Do I look alright
And I say yes, you look wonderful tonight


Clapton wrote this song while waiting for his girlfriend Patti [his future wife and ex-wife of George Harrison] She was married to George Harrison when Clapton expressed his love for her in the song “Layla”.
"Tears in heaven" – Clapton wrote this about his 4-year-old son Conor, who died when he fell out of a 53rd floor window in his mother's apartment in New York City.

Would you know my name ... If I saw you in heaven
Will it be the same ... If I saw you in heaven
I must be strong, and carry on ... Cause I know I don't belong ... Here in heaven


In my earlier post on John Lennon; I’ve already listed some songs he wrote for his near-n-dear ones:
Good Night – for son Julian
Beautiful Boy – for son Sean
Oh Yoko – wife Yoko
Julia - mother

[4] There are some interesting songs with political messages:

Let me tell you now … Ev'rybody's talking about
Revolution, evolution, masturbation … flagellation, regulation, integrations,
meditations, United Nations … Congratulations.
All we are saying is give peace a chance
All we are saying is give peace a chance


This was recorded May,1969 at a "Bed-In" Lennon staged in Queen Elizabeth's Hotel in Montreal. This was John and Yoko’s effort to promote world peace. They got a great deal of media attention, which is exactly what they wanted to promote their cause…

London calling to the faraway towns
Now that war is declared and battle come down
London calling to the underworld
Come out of the cupboard all you boys and girs
London calling now don't look to us
Phony Beatlemania has bitten the dust
London calling see we ain't got no swing
Except for the ring of that truncheon


“The Clash" were known for lashing out against injustice and rebelling against the establishment. The title came from the BBC World Service's radio station identification: "This is London calling..." The BBC used it during World War II.

[5] One of Led Zeppelin’s most famous songs is : “Black Dog”. The song gets its name from a huge black dog that entered in the studio at the time of its recording.
When the drummer Rick Allen of Def Leppard lost one of his arms in a car accident in 1984; he decided to keep on playing with only one hand and also learned to use his feet. The band continued as normal and their next album was “Hysteria”…

I felt like updating this spot ...
and with very less time in hand ... This is what I could write ...
REFERENCED heavily from : http://www.songfacts.com/

2 Comments:

At 23 December, 2005 23:46, Blogger Artful Badger said...

I really wonder how it is possible to backmask. You cannot possibly do it on purpose, which means that it is probably the result of an hyperactive imagination.
The biggest political band of all time - U2!! Have you seen the latest cover of time - Bill and Melinda Gates, U2..

 
At 24 December, 2005 14:48, Blogger Intern said...

O Yes...
I subscribe to "The Time" magazine ...and this time have read almost all the articles. You're talking about "The Good Samaritans" ....
And I love rock-stars... especially Bono; with his 'bona fide' works!!!

Backmasking is rather very interesting... and whole lot of controversies, and I'm sure you're aware of it!
But have you ever heard of them?
Long back, someone had sent me a link; and I heard a few; though initially they sound gibberish... but you may actually get some of it ...

But, i've read that backmasking can also do it intentially..
Check out this site:
http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_cul5.htm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home